CJ Cup Winners and History
The CJ Cup has become a bit of a road show over the last three years. Originally played at the Nine Bridges course in Korea from 2017 – 2019, it was moved to Shadow Creek in 2020 due to the pandemic. Travel to Korea was not possible at that time.
In 2021, the CJ Cup moved again, this time to the Summit Club in Las Vegas.
In 2022, the CJ Cup moves to the Congaree Club in South Carolina.
The tournament presumably will return to Korea when the Covid 19 pandemic is over.
The Summit Club golf course is a Tom Fazio design that has been described as more of a parklands course than a desert one. It is located in a high-end residential community.
The Nine Bridges edition was Korea’s first PGA TOUR tournament.
The eponymous CJ Group is a holding company with investments in food and food service, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, entertainment, media, home shopping and logistics. It originally was a branch of the Samsung Corporation.
As with previous editions, tThe field at the CJ Cup consists of 78 players:
- Top 60 available players from the previous season’s final FedEx Cup standings
- Winners of the KPGA Championship and Genesis Championship on the Korean Tour
- Top 3 available players from the Korean Tour order of merit as of October 2
- Top available player from the Asian Tour order of merit as of October 9
- Top available Korean player from the Asian Tour order of merit as of October 9
- Top next 3 available Korean players from the Official World Golf Ranking as of October 9
- 8 sponsor exemptions:
- 5 restricted to PGA Tour members
- 1 to the winner of a Korean amateur qualifier
- 2 unrestricted
A list of CJ Cup Winners follows:
|2021||Rory McIlroy||263||-25||1 stroke|
|2020||Jason Kokrak||268||-20||2 strokes|
|2019||Justin Thomas (2)||268||-20||2 strokes|
|2018||Brooks Koepka||267||-21||4 strokes|