Gainbridge LPGA Preview 2020
Dates: January 20 – 26
Where: Boca Raton, Florida
Course: Boca Rio
Par and Yardage: 36-36–72, 6,701 yards
Field Size: 108
2019 Champion: None. This is the inaugural playing.
This week marks a couple of firsts: the first playing of the Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Rio (official tournament site) and the first full field event of the 2020 LPGA Season.
Six of the top 10 players in the Rolex Women’s World Golf Rankings will tee it up at Boca Rio: No. 3 Nelly Korda, No. 4 Danielle Kang, No. 5 Nasa Hataoka, No. 6 Sei Young Kim, No. 8 Brooke Henderson and No. 10 Lexi Thompson.
The inaugural Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Rio also features 19-time LPGA Tour winner Inbee Park. Park has won 7 Majors and holds the Gold Medal in Golf from the 2016 Olympics.
Eight native Floridians are also in the field: Lindy Duncan, Jaye Marie Green, Jessica Korda, Nelly Korda, Brittany Lincicome, Madison Pressel, Morgan Pressel and Lexi Thompson.
Gainbridge LPGA Preview Quick Facts
- This is the first year for the Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Rio
- The Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Raton is one of two new events on the 2020 schedule (the other is the Pelican Women’s Championship presented by DEX Imaging)
- Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Rio is one of four tournaments in Florida.
- This event is the first full field event of the 2020 season, but the second event if you include the celebrity pro-am Diamond Resorts Tournament of Champions.
- Sponsors exemptions were granted to Natalie Gulbis and Madison Pressel.
- Eight players in the 108-player field are from Florida (Lindy Duncan, Jaye Marie Green, Jessica Korda, Nelly Korda, Brittany Lincicome, Madison Pressel, Morgan Pressel, Lexi Thompson)
- Alison Lee and Kendall Dye secured the final two spots in the Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Rio field through the Monday Qualifier. Dye survived a 3-for-1 sudden death playoff that was completed on Tuesday morning
- Eight 2020 Rookies are in the field: Jennifer Chang, Jillian Hollis, Yui Kawamoto, Esther Lee, Leona Maguire, Yealimi Noh, Patty Tavatanakit, Albane Valenzuela
- Gabby Lopez, who won the Diamond Resorts Tournament of Champions in a playoff last week, also will tee it up.
Potential Olympians In the Field
- 33 of the 60 potential Olympic participants will tee it up this week, including all representatives from the current United States standings – Nelly Korda, Danielle Kang and Lexi Thompson. Inbee Park, who made a January start to the season last week at the Diamond Resorts Tournament of Champions for the first time since 2016, continues her Florida swing as she fights for a spot on the Korean Olympic roster. Only one member of the team in the current rankings, Sei Young Kim, will make an appearance this week in Boca Raton.
Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Rio TV Times
All times eastern on The Golf Channel
Thursday, Jan. 23 – 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 24 – 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 25 – 3-5:30 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 26 – 3-5:30 p.m.
The Gainbridge LPGA Preview is via LPGA TOUR