GAM Team Takes Fifth Consecutive Win Over Michigan PGA in 2019 Fuller Cup Matches
LAKE ORION – The Golf Association of Michigan team rolled to a fifth consecutive win over the Michigan PGA Section team in the 2019 Fuller Cup Matches Tuesday on the Old Course at Indianwood Golf & Country Club. It was the 47th edition of the competition.
Powered by a 4.5-1.5 advantage in four-ball matches and a 9.5-2.5 advantage in singles the GAM won the Ryder Cup-style event 14-4.
Reigning Michigan Amateur Champion Beau Breault of Highland, Hope College golfer Josh Gibson, Michigan State University assistant golf coach Dan Ellis, Jeff Champine of Rochester Hills and Michigan State golfers Andrew Walker and Donnie Trosper each had a hand in scoring two points for the GAM team. The six won their singles matches as well as helped their best-ball partners win.
Just one PGA four-ball team of Bob Ackerman of Bob Ackerman Golf and Kyle Wittenbach, the head golf coach at Ferris State University, managed a win, and Brian Cairns of Fox Hills Learning Center was the only PGA team member to win a singles match. The other PGA points came from halved matches.
The GAM has won seven of the last 12 competitions, but trails 35-11-1 in the series. Prior to 2001 the PGA teams dominated and at one point won 17 consecutive times.
The format has changed over the years, but the matches are presented to promote sportsmanship, friendship and quality golf among professionals and amateurs. The GAM team is selected through the use of the GAM Honor Roll and availability and the PGA selects its team via money list standing and availability.
RESULTS FOR THE 2019 FULLER CUP:
- Anthony Sorentino/Connor Jones GAM vs. Kevin Muir/Josh Fryer PGA – halved
- Andrew Walker/Donnie Trosper GAM d. John Seltzer/Dan Urban PGA – 5 and 4
- Ken Hudson/Jeff Champine GAM d. Lee Houtteman/Scott Brotebeck PGA – 3 and 2
- James Piot/Dan Ellis GAM d. Brian Cairns/Frank McAuliffe PGA – 1-up
- Beau Breault/Josh Gibson GAM d. Cody Haughton/Jeff Roth PGA – 4 and 3
- Bob Ackerman/Kyle Wittenbach PGA d. David Hall/Mike Anderson GAM – 2 and 1
- GAM 4 ½ – PGA 1 ½
- Sorentino GAM vs. Muir PGA – halved
- Jones GAM d. Fryer PGA – 1-up
- Walker GAM d. Seltzer PGA – 5 and 4
- Trosper GAM d. Urban PGA – 4 and 3
- Hudson GAM vs. Houtteman PGA – halved
- Champine GAM d. Brotebeck PGA – 2 and 1
- Cairns PGA d. Piot GAM – 5 and 3
- Ellis GAM d. McAuliffe PGA – 4 and 3
- Breault GAM d. Haughton PGA – 5 and 4
- Gibson GAM d. Roth PGA – 4 and 3
- Hall GAM vs. Ackerman PGA – halved
- Anderson GAM d. Wittenbach PGA – 2 and 1
- GAM 9 ½ – PGA 2 ½
FINAL SCORE: GAM 14 – PGA 4
via Greg Johnson