2014 Greenbrier Classic
Dates: July 3-6, 2014
Where: The Old White TPC; White Sulphur Springs, WV
Field: 156; Format: 72-hole stroke play
Purse: $6,500,000; Winner’s Share: $1,170,000; FedExCup points to winner: 500
Defending Champion: Jonas Blixt
Twitter: @GbrClassic Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheGreenbrierClassic
How the Greenbrier Classic was won in 2013
- In the final round of The Greenbrier Classic, Jonas Blixt fired a third-consecutive 67 to eliminate a four-shot deficit at the beginning of the day to Johnson Wagner, winning his second TOUR title (2012 Frys.com Open) by two strokes over Wagner, Steven Bowditch and Matt Jones.
- He became the second international player to win the event, joining 2010 champion Stuart Appleby.2013 Final Results
- Jonas Blixt 66-67-67-67—267 (-13)
- Steven Bowditch 65-67-69-68—269 (-11)
- Matt Jones 69-66-66-68—269 (-11)
- Johnson Wagner 62-70-64-73—269 (-11)More on Jonas Blixt
- Won at the age of 29 years, 2 months and 13 days.
- Victory at the 2012 Frys.com Open came in his 19th TOUR start, with his win at The Greenbrier Classic coming exactly 19 starts later (38th overall).
- Posted the fourth come-from-behind win in as many playings of The Greenbrier Classic (Stuart Appleby, Scott Stallings, Ted Potter Jr., Blixt).
- Moved to No. 39 in the FedExCup, from his previous position of No. 139. Ended the year No. 32.
- Played the par-4 13th hole at 5-over, with two double bogeys, a bogey and a par in his four rounds. He was 18-under on The Old White TPC’s other 17 holes.FedExCup and The Greenbrier Classic
- Nine of the top 25 in the FedExCup standings are in The Greenbrier Classic field, including No. 1 Jimmy Walker, No. 2 Bubba Watson, No. 7 Chris Kirk, No. 8 Patrick Reed, No. 10 Brendon Todd, No. 11 Kevin Na, No. 16 Webb Simpson, No. 23 Keegan Bradley and No. 25 Gary Woodland.A glance at the field
- Five of the top 30 players in the Official World Golf Ranking: No. 3 Bubba Watson, No. 17 Jimmy Walker, No. 18 Steve Stricker, No. 25 Keegan Bradley, No. 29 Patrick Reed.
- All four Greenbrier Classic winners: Stuart Appleby (2010), Scott Stallings (2011), Ted Potter Jr. (2012), Jonas Blixt (2013).
- Ten winners from the 2013-14 season, including three of the TOUR’s four multiple winners this season: Jimmy Walker (3 wins), Patrick Reed (2), Bubba Watson (2), Steven Bowditch, Chesson Hadley, J.B.
Holmes, Chris Kirk, Webb Simpson, Scott Stallings, Brendon Todd.
- Players with the most TOUR wins: Tom Watson (39), Vijay Singh (34), Davis Love III (20), David Toms (13), Steve Stricker (12), Justin Leonard (12), Stuart Appleby (9), Nick Faldo (9), K.J. Choi (8), Mike Weir (8).
- 16 Major Championship winners (33 wins): Tom Watson (8), Nick Faldo (6), Vijay Singh (3), Angel Cabrera (2), John Daly (2), Bubba Watson (2), Keegan Bradley, Darren Clarke, Ben Curtis, Trevor Immelman, Justin Leonard, Davis Love III, Webb Simpson, David Toms, Mike Weir, Y.E. Yang.
- Notables making their first Greenbrier Classic start: Angel Cabrera, Darren Clarke, Nick Faldo.Tom Watson
- Tom Watson will be making his fourth start at The Greenbrier Classic (MC-2011, T73-2012, T38-2013).
- His start at the 2011 Greenbrier Classic was his first non-major start since the 2007 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, where he partnered with son Michael and finished T19.
- Watson owns 39 wins, 32 second-place and 23 third-place finishes in his PGA TOUR career (632 starts).
- Owns 14 wins, 22 second-place (most recent at the 2014 Senior PGA Championship) and eight thirdplace finishes in 172 Champions Tour starts.
- At the 2011 British Open, the then 61-year-old Watson (T22) posted his 69th top-25 finish in a major.
- The now 64-year-old Watson became The Greenbrier’s second Golf Professional Emeritus in 2005, with Sam Snead serving as The Greenbrier’s first Golf Professional Emeritus until his death in 2002.
- Last year, Watson recorded his best career round at the event with a final-round 3-under 67 to finish T38.
- Additional Player Notes
- Six-time Major Champion Nick Faldo will be making his second start of the season, having missed the cut at the RBC Heritage). It will be his first start at The Greenbrier Classic.
- Oliver Goss was the low amateur at the 2014 Masters Tournament and runner-up at the 2013 U.S. Amateur Championship
- Brian Anania, former standout at Marshall University, won the 2014 West Virginia Amateur at the Old White TPC Course at The Greenbrier Resort by two strokes. Had finished in the top 10 in the three
previous playings of the event.
- Charles Howell III (T9-2010, T32-2011, MC-2012, MC-2013) played all 72 holes at the 2010 Greenbrier Classic without a bogey, the first player to do so and not win since Bubba Watson at the 2006 Chrysler
Classic of Tucson.
- Three players in The Greenbrier Classic field captured the Web.com Tour event held between 2004 and 2009 at the Pete Dye Golf Club in Bridgeport, W.Va.: D.A. Points (2004), Jimmy Walker (2007) and Jason
- Number of players who posted all four rounds in the 60s at The Greenbrier Classic: 2010 (46), 2011 (0), 2012 (14), 2013 (7).
- In 2013, the par-4 13th hole played the toughest during the four rounds for the fourth straight season, yielding a 4.240 average. The par-5 17th hole was the easiest for the week, with a 4.758 average.
- Scoring average comparison at The Greenbrier Classic: 2010 (68.536), 2011 (70.593), 2012 (69.781), 2013 (69.868).
- Tournament 72-hole record: 258, Stuart Appleby (2010).
- Course record: 59, Stuart Appleby (final round, 2010)