PGA Championship Winner Phil Mickelson to Tee Off in Detroit at Rocket Mortgage Classic, Joins Growing List of Elite Players
- Mickelson joins field just days after winning at Kiawah Island’s Ocean Course and becoming the oldest major championship winner in history at age 50.
- Field now includes three of the Top 11 players in the world ranking, with Bryson DeChambeau, Patrick Reed and Webb Simpson.
- General admission tickets are available starting today at 8 a.m. for competition rounds Thursday, July 1 – Sunday, July 4 and the Delta Dental Pro-Am on Wednesday, June 30.
DETROIT (May 27, 2021) – The field for the Rocket Mortgage Classic continues to take shape in a big way, as the tournament today announced commitments from World Golf Hall of Famer Phil Mickelson and fellow major championship winners Patrick Reed and Webb Simpson.
Sungjae Im, Max Homa and Kevin Kisner, each ranked in the Official World Golf Ranking’s Top 50, are also expected to play. On top of that, two-time PGA TOUR winner and rising star Cameron Champ will return to Detroit for the third straight year.
After becoming the oldest major championship winner in the history of golf by winning the 2021 PGA Championship, 50-year-old Mickelson’s commitment to the Rocket Mortgage Classic is a welcome boost to the tournament’s field. His history of “hitting bombs” is sure to attract thousands of fans to Detroit Golf Club this summer when the TOUR makes its way to Rocket Mortgage’s hometown.
Tickets are available starting today at 8 a.m. at RocketMortgageClassic.com. In cooperation with government and health officials from the City of Detroit and State of Michigan, the Rocket Mortgage Classic has made general admission tickets available for purchase for each of the tournament’s four competition rounds Thursday, July 1 – Sunday, July 4 and the Delta Dental Pro-Am on Wednesday, June 30.
The Rocket Mortgage Classic will feature a field of 156 players competing for a winner’s prize of $1.35 million and 500 FedExCup points. The event’s overall purse is $7.5 million. Previous player commitments include defending champion and Rocket Mortgage ambassador Bryson DeChambeau, 2015 PGA Championship winner Jason Day, two-time Masters winner Bubba Watson, Rocket Mortgage ambassador Rickie Fowler and fan-favorite Harold Varner III.
The commitments of DeChambeau (No. 4 in the Official World Golf Ranking), Reed (No. 8) and Simpson (No. 11) mean three of the world’s 11 best golfers will all be at this summer’s Rocket Mortgage Classic. Additional field announcements will be made in the coming weeks.
“As evidenced by his record-breaking performance last weekend at the PGA Championship, Phil is one of the best to ever play the game, an electric performer and continues to be a huge draw for fans attending PGA TOUR events,” said Jason Langwell, Executive Director of the Rocket Mortgage Classic. “Adding a player like Phil, along with the major champions and Top-50 players who have also committed, is shaping the strongest field in Rocket Mortgage Classic history.”
The players added to the field today are sure to provide fireworks inside the ropes over Independence Day weekend at the 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic:
- Cameron Champ, one of the longest hitters currently playing professionally, has won PGA TOUR titles in each of the past two years and finished T12 at the 2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic.
- Max Homa, currently 23rd in the FedExCup standings, won the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Individual Championship and has two career PGA TOUR victories, including the 2021 Genesis Invitational.
- Sungjae Im, a 23-year-old South Korean star, is currently ranked 23rd in the world and sits at No. 26 in the FedExCup rankings. He won the 2020 Honda Classic and has had three top-25 finishes in major championships since October (22nd at the 2020 U.S. Open, T2 at the 2020 Masters and T17 at the 2021 PGA Championship.)
- Kevin Kisner owns three PGA TOUR wins and is currently the No. 47-ranked player in the world. He most recently won the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play in 2019.
- Phil Mickelson has won 45 events on the PGA TOUR, including six major championships: three Masters titles (2004, 2006, 2010), the 2005 and 2021 PGA Championship and the Open Championship in 2013. He is one of 12 players in the history of golf to win three of the four majors.
- Patrick Reed, the world’s eighth-ranked player, is the 2018 Masters champion and a nine-time winner on the PGA TOUR. He has earned the nickname “Captain America” for his success in international team competition and has represented the United States in the past three Ryder Cups and Presidents Cups.
- Webb Simpson, the world’s 11th-ranked player, won the 2012 U.S. Open and 2018 PLAYERS Championship among his seven PGA TOUR wins. He placed T8 in his Rocket Mortgage Classic debut last year.
Given the sold-out 2019 event, the public is encouraged to act fast and secure 2021 tickets at RocketMortgageClassic.com. Tournament staff are constantly collaborating with city and state officials to finalize a special event plan for the event.