With Phil Mickelson getting himself in position for a possible major win at age 50, I wondered how that compared to the oldest players to win a championship in other sports.
- Oldest Player To Win A (Professional) Golf Major:
- Julius Boros, 48, 1968 PGA Championship
- Oldest Player To Win A Golf Major
- Michael Scott, 55, 1933 British Amateur
- Oldest Player To Win A Woman’s Golf Major
- Fay Crocker, 45, 1960 Titleholders Championship
- Oldest Player To Win A Tennis Grand Slam Event:
- Ken Rosewall, 37, 1972 Australian Open
- Oldest Player To Win A Women’s Grand Slam Event
- Serena Williams, 35, 2017 Australian Open
- Oldest Player To Win A Superbowl Ring:
- Tom Brady, 43, Super Bowl LV
- Oldest Player to Win A World Series:
- Jack Quinn, 47, 1930 Philadelphia Athletics
- Oldest Player To Win An NBA Championship:
- Robert Parish, 43, 1997 Bulls
- Oldest Player To Win A Stanley Cup:
- Chris Chelios, 46, 2008 Detroit Red Wings
- Oldest Winner of a World Cup:
- Zoff, 40, 1982 Spain
Tom Watson famously came within a shot of winning the British Open at age 59 in 2009. Long after anyone remember who actually won, people will remember Watson’s performance.
Can Lefty pull it off? I sincerely hope so. It would be a story for the ages.