Pros and Celebs Kick Off Area 313 at The Rocket Mortgage Classic
A center of entertainment at this week’s Rocket Mortgage Classic is likely to be the three hole stretch dubbed “Area 313” after the iconic Detroit area code. Area 313 consists of the 555 yard par five fourteenth, the 160 yard par 3 fifteenth and the 446 yard par 4 sixteenth.
During Rocket Mortgage Classic tournament play Thursday-Sunday, the first PGA TOUR player to score 3-1-3 on holes 14-16 cumulatively over the four days of tournament play will win $313,000. Half of the prize will be donated to several Detroit-based local non-profit partners, and half to a charitable group of the player’s choice.
On Tuesday during the practice rounds, Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson and Bubba Watson led teams of celebrities in a scramble in an attempt to rack up that 313 before the tournament even started. Michigan resident and famed broadcaster Mike Tirico emceed the ceremonial tee shots.
- Rickie Fowler – Five-time PGA TOUR winner, World No. 14 and Rocket Mortgage ambassador
- Kid Rock -Musician and Detroit native
- Justin Abdelkader – Veteran Red Wings left wing and alternate captain
- Blair O’Neal – Professional golfer and model, Golf Channel host
“Team DJ” :
- Dustin Johnson – World No. 2, 2016 U.S. Open champion and 20-time PGA TOUR winner
- Jerome Bettis – Pro Football Hall of Famer, Detroit native
- Dylan Larkin -Red Wings center and NHL All Star
- Paige Spiranac –Social media personality and professional golfer
- Bubba Watson – 2012 and 2014 Masters champ, 12-time PGA TOUR winner and World No. 22
- Tom Izzo – Michigan State men’s basketball coach
- Jimmy Howard – Veteran Red Wings goalie
- Troy Mullins –Female World Long Drive competitor
The AREA 313 Celebrity Challenge is supported by the Children’s Foundation. The Children’s Foundation will have their mascot, CHAMP, walk inside the ropes during the event with two members of the Little Champions program, which honors children who have overcome major obstacles in their young lives.