Sanderson Farms Championship Preview
2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
- September 27 – October 3, 2021
- 2nd of 47 FedExCup events
- Country Club of Jackson
- Jackson, Mississippi
- Par 72 • 7,461 yards
- Purse $7 million
- Winner $1.26 million+ 500 FedExCup pts.
- 144 players • 72-hole stroke-play
- Defending champion Sergio Garcia
TV Coverage: Thursday GC • Friday GC • Saturday GC • Sunday GC
Sergio takes the stage
- Fresh off his 10th Ryder Cup appearance for Europe, Sergio Garcia returns to defend his Sanderson Farms Championship title as the lone participant from last week’s Ryder Cup in the field.
- The all-time leader in Ryder Cup points earned his 11th career PGA TOUR title at the Country Club of Jackson, ending a victory drought dating back to the 2017 Masters Tournament.
SEC Players In The Field
- There are 31 players in the field this week that went to colleges that are currently in the Southeastern Conference, which is more than a fifth of the field (12 of the14 schools are represented; all but Ole Miss and Kentucky).
- Twenty-eight are PGA TOUR members, while three are either playing on sponsor exemptions or top-lOs. Members in the field(*= non-members):
- J. Augenstein, VAN*
- H. Buckley, MIZ
- B. Burgoon, TAMU
- S. Burns, LSU
- A. Cook, ARK
- B. Gay, UF
- L. Hodges, UA
- C. Kirk, UGA
- P. Kizzire, AUB
- A. Landry, ARK
- L. List, VAN
- P. Malnati, MIZ
- T. Mccumber, UF
- K. Mitchell, UGA
- T. Moore, ARK
- T. Mullinax, UA
- M. Nesmith, SC
- C. Ramey, MSST
- D. Riley, UA
- M. Schwab, VAN
- G. Sigg, UGA
- D. Skinns, TEN
- B. Snedeker, VAN
- S. Straka, UGA
- H. Swafford, UGA
- C. Thompson, LSU
- D. Thompson, UGA*
- M. Thompson, UGA
- C. Trolio, LSU*
- B. Todd, UGA
- C. Villegas, UF
Sanderson Farms Produce First Time Winners
- Six of the last seven Sanderson Farms Championship winners have been first-time PGA TOUR winners: Nick Taylor (2014), Peter Malnati (2015), Cody Gribble (2016), Ryan Armour (2017), Cameron Champ (2018), Sebastian Munoz (2019).
Korn Ferry Tour Graduates with Mississippi Ties
- Three 2021 Korn Ferry Tour graduates/PGA TOUR rookies have ties to the state of Mississippi: Chad Ramey, Davis Riley, Hayden Buckley.
- Ramey hails from Fulton and graduated from Mississippi State University in 2014
- Riley is a Hattiesburg native that attended the University of Alabama
- Buckley was born in Tennessee but grew up in Tupelo and attended the University of Missouri.
Sanderson Farms Championship Winners In The FedEx Cup
- Since the Sanderson Farms Championship began awarding 500 FedExCup points to the winner in 2019, both champions have qualified for the TOUR Championship and finished the season in the top15 of the standings (Munoz/8, Garcia/14).
Top 50 At The Sanderson Farms Championship
- Seven of the top fifty in the Official World Golf Ranking are competing at the Sanderson Farms Championship, led by Sam Burns (25).
- The start of the 2021-22 PGA TOUR season marked the first time in PGA TOUR history that the top 50 in the OWGR were all PGA TOUR members when the season kicked off.
Top Players In The Sanderson Farms Championship
- 2020 Sanderson Farms Championship winner
- Led the PGA TOUR in Third-Round Scoring Average (68.36) last season
- Only player in the field that played in last week’s Ryder Cup
- Top Results From Last Season
- Won Sanderson Farms Championship
- T5 WG-Dell Technologies Match Play
- T6 BMW Championship
- T9 The Players Championship
- Fifth Tournament Start
- Led GPA TOUR in 36 hole leads/co-leads last season (5)
- Highest ranked player in the field (No. 25 OWGR)
- Top Results From last Season
- Won Valspar Championship
- 2nd AT&T Byron Nelson
- T2 WGD-FedEx St. Jude
- 3rd Genesis Invitational
- Fourth tournament start; runner up in 2019
- Led PGA TOUR in birdies last season for third consecutive time with 498
- Second highest ranked player in the field (29)
- Top Results From last season
- T2 (2020) Masters
- 3rd BMW Championshiop
- T4 Sentry Tournament of Champions
- Finished T11 in the season opening Fortinet Championship
- 8 top tens and 21 made cuts in 25 starts last season
- 2021 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year
- Top results from last season
- 2nd (2021) masters
- T5 Shriners Children’s Open
- T6 (2020 ) US Open
- Making season and tournament debut
- Ranked #48 in OWGR
- Four top 25s last season, including back to back runner-up results
- Top results from last season
- 2nd (2020) US Open
- T2 Shriners Hospitals For Children Open
- T15 (2021) US Open
2020 Sanderson Farms Championship Leaderboard
|Low 18 Hole Score||61||Keith Clearwater||R2, 1996|
|Low 36 Hole Score||129||Roberto Castro||2015|
|Low 54 Hole Score||196||2 Players, |
Most Recent Scott Stallings
|Low 72 Hole Score||263||Dan Halldorson||1986|
|Holes In One||20||20 players,|
Most Recent, Patrick Rodgers
|Largest 18 Hole Lead||2||7 players, |
Most Recent Kevin Streelman
|Largest 36 Hole Lead||4||2 players,|
Most Recent, Roberto Castro
|Largest 54 Hole Lead||5||Ryan Armour||2017|
|Biggest Come From Behind Win||5||Larry Silveira||1991|
|Largest Margin of Victory||5||2 players,|
Most Recent, Ryan Armour
|Playoffs||8||Most recent, Sebastian Munoz def. Sungjae im||2019|
|Wire To Wire Winner||1||D.J. Trahan||2006|
Fortinet Championship Recap
- In the season-opening tournament, the Fortinet Championship, Max Homa earned his third career PGA TOUR title in his 128th start at the age of 30 years,10 months.
- With the victory, Homa leads the FedExCup standings at No. 1 for the first time in his TOUR career.
2020 – 2021 Streaks
- Dustin Johnson qualified for the TOUR Championship for the 13th consecutive season, the longest streak in the FedExCup era (2007-present).
- Six other players have active streaks of five years or more: Hideki Matsuyama (B), Patrick Reed (B), Justin Thomas (6), Tony Finau (5), Jon Rahm (5) and Xander Schauffele (5).
- Six players have qualified for the FedExCup Playoffs in each year during the FedExCup era (2007-present): Charley Hoffman (finished 32nd in the FedExCup), Phil Mickelson (70), Bubba Watson (Bl), Adam Scott (90), Brandt Snedeker (97) and Matt Kuchar (122).