Although no amateur has won the US Open since 1933, they still are an important part of the Championship. Names such as Bobby Jones, Francis Ouimet and Charles (Chick) Evans are forever etched in the lore of the game.
Below, you will find the US Open Records for Amateur Champions, Most Top 10 Finishes in the US Open By An Amateur, Most Finishes as Low Amateur In The US Open, Lowest 18 holes Scores By An Amateur In the US Open, and Lowest 72 Hole Score By An Amateur In The US Open.
Amateur Champions (5 players, 8 times)
- Francis Ouimet, The Country Club, Brookline, Mass., 1913
- Jerome D. Travers, Baltusrol G.C., Springfield, N.J., 1915
- Charles Evans Jr., Minikahda Club, Minneapolis, Minn., 1916
- Robert T. Jones Jr., Inwood (N.Y.) C.C., 1923; Scioto C.C., Columbus, Ohio, 1926; Winged Foot G.C., Mamaroneck, N.Y., 1929; Interlachen C.C., Edina, Minn., 1930
- John Goodman, North Shore C.C., Glenview, Ill., 1933
Most Top-10 Finishes
- 10 Robert T. Jones Jr.
Most Times Low Amateur
- 9 Robert T. Jones Jr.
Lowest 18-Hole Score by an Amateur
- 65 (6 under) James McHale, third round, St. Louis C.C., Clayton, Mo., 1947
- 65 (5 under) James Simons, third round, Merion G.C. (East Course), Ardmore, Pa., 1971
- 65 (5 under) Nick Taylor, second round, Bethpage State Park (Black Course), Farmingdale, N.Y., 2009
- 66 (6 under) John Goodman, second round, North Shore G.C., Glenview, Ill., 1933
Lowest 72-Hole Score by an Amateur
- 282 Jack Nicklaus (2), Cherry Hills C.C., Englewood, Colo., 1960
- 283 James Simons (T5), Merion G.C. (East Course), Ardmore, Pa., 1971