Why Do They Call It A Divot Tool?

[amazon_link asins=’B010TT0S5S,B00F1YJFFQ’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’golfblogger07-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’d4f29c2e-ebbb-11e6-ab1b-eda09668b237′]

These are nice looking divot tools, but it begs the question of why it’s called that. As far as I know, a divot is the strip of grass that you slice out of the fairway as a result of hitting down on the ball. That is properly repaired by filling the gap with a seed-sand mixture, or by replacing the grass and tamping it down with your foot. I have never in my hacker career seen anyone use one of these to repair a divot.

This device, on the other hand, is used to repair an indentation left on a green by a ball falling out of the sky, and that, to the best of my knowledge, is known as a ball mark. You use those tines to prime the edges of the ball mark so that the grass on the green can recover more quickly.

These devices also are frequently advertised as “having a ball mark.” Without trying to sound like George Carlin, it occurs to me that you don’t want a ball mark; you want to get rid of a ball mark. What you want is a ball marker, which is an entirely different thing.

It’s all very confusing.

Liked it? Take a second to support The Original Golf Blogger on Patreon!

1 thought on “Why Do They Call It A Divot Tool?”

  1. Good point smile

    That particular “divot tool” IS indeed a very nice one.. I picked one up and was happy to discover that you can remove the included Callaway “ball mark” and put a US Quarter—my preffered “ball mark”—in it’s place.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: