Some thoughts and notes from the final round of the 2011 US Open:
- Congratulations Rory. I think we’ve seen the breakout tournament of the next great player.
- Otherwise, boring. There was lots of movement in the second through ten spots, but Rory’s lead was insurmountable. We knew that going in, though.
- A lot of runners up made statements, including Jason Day, Kevin Chappell, Robert Garrigus, Lee Westwood, Peter Hanson, Charl Schwartzel and Louis Oosthuizen. if Rory wasn’t lapping them, this would have been a very exciting US Open.
- Aside from the lack of competition, there was something missing from this US Open: agony. I thought the course played like just another Tour stop. There was none of the heartbreaking chaos we’ve come to expect from the US Open.
- Sergio Garcia looks like he’s ready to rejoin the big time. I hope he finds a way to make it into the British Open. Maybe placing so high in the US Open will help him get in via the money list.
- Phil looked really tired. I wonder if that arthritis is worse than he admits.Advertisements