Washtenaw GC Charity Classic To Benefit Folds of Honor July 23
Washtenaw Golf Club will host a benefit for the Folds of Honor Foundation on Friday, July 23, 2021.
Folds of Honor offers educational scholarships to the spouses and children of our nation’s deceased or disabled service members. The foundation was created by Lt. Colonel Dan Rooney, a USAF figher pilot who is also a PGA Professional. Since its creation in 2007, the Foundation has provided more than 29,000 scholarships worth $145 million dollars.
Washtenaw’s outing will be limited to 25 teams of four amateurs each. A golf professional will be assigned to the team as a fifth member. The event is a shotgunned shamble with the best two net scores of five counting for the team on each hole.
Players can sign as a single for $240, or register for $960 as a team. Registration information is at the end of this post.
The event includes:
- Lunch prior to the shotgun
- A one-hour Dennis Walters Golf Show prior to the outing.
- 18 holes of golf for four golfers and a golf professional
- swag bag
- 2 drink tickets
- Afterglow with Hor D’oeuvres and Cash Bar
- Prizes to the top five teams
- A prize for the most patriotic team
- Other contests
Trick shot artist Dennis Walters is a World Golf Hall of Famer, who is one of just 12 Honorary Lifetime Members of the PGA. His story is inspirational: Walters was an aspiring young golf professional player before being paralyzed in a car accident at age 24. He and his father developed a rotating seat for a golf cart, which enabled Walters to continue to play. His skills attracted attention and he soon was being asked to put on clinics at local courses. These clinics developed into the Dennis Walters Golf Show, which is one part inspiration and one part golf shot mastery.
Schedule of Events:
- 11:00 AM: Registration on the Golf Shop Patio
- Lunch In The Washtenaw Grill
- 12:00PM: Dennis Walters Golf Show on the Range
- Golf following the show
- 6:30PM: Afterglow and short program in the Washtenaw Ball Room
Other opportunities to help the Folds of Honor Foundation include
- Sponsorships with benefits starting at $150
- Cash, or In-Kind donations
In 2020, Folds of Honor joined with the PGA of America to expand the scope of its Patriot Golf days, which now are appropriately held on Memorial Day Weekend. Recently, Folds of Honor teamed with golf legend Jack Nicklaus to open American Dunes Golf Club in Grand Haven.
A PDF with full information and an entry form are below.Washtenaw-GC-Charity-Classic-LetterEntry