GolfWeek has a list of the twenty best courses in Michigan in 2013. I’ve played more than half of them (The ones starred).
1. Arcadia Bluffs, Arcadia*
2. Greywalls, Marquette
3. Forest Dunes, Roscommon*
4. Belvedere, Charlevoix
5. Tullymore, Stanwood*
6. Black Lake Onaway*
7. Lakewood Shores – Gailes, Oscoda*
8. Eagle Eye GC, Bath*
9. Timberstone, Iron Mountain
10. Treetops North (Smith), Gaylord
11. Black Forest at Wilderness Valley, Gaylord*
12. Bay Harbor, Harbor Springs*
13. University of Michigan GC, Ann Arbor*
14. Angels Crossing, Vicksburg*
15. Sweetgrass, Harris
16. Orchards GC, Washington
17. Treetops North (Fazio) Gaylord*
18. Hidden River Golf and Casting Club, Brutus*
19. Pilgrims Run, Pierson
20. The Mines, Grand Rapids
I’ve always wondered how these magazines derive their course ratings. A good many of these are spot-on, but there are a few I question. I was not at all impressed with Lakewood Shores’ Gailes course, for example. I think the course gains its prominence because of the effort the resort makes to accommodate outings. I have friends who are part of a group of 30+ who descend upon that course every year for an annual trip. And while I liked Hidden River much more than the Gailes, I can think of others I’d put ahead of it.
As a replacement for either the Gailes or Hidden River, I’d suggest the excellent Binder Park course in Kalamazoo, Gull Lake View East or Stonehedge South in Augusta, or Shepherd’s Hollow in Clarkston.
I’d be interested in knowing what other Michiganders think of the GolfWeek list.