The CJ Cup At Nine Bridges Winners and History
First played in 2017 (for the 2017-2018 PGA TOUR Season), the CJ Cup at Nine Bridges is Korea’s first PGA TOUR tournament. The tournament’s first winner was Justin Thomas, who won in a playoff over Marc Leishman.
For 2020, the CJ Cup will be played at Shadow Creek in Las Vegas. It presumably will return to Korea when the COVID 19 pandemic is over.
The field at the CJ Cup consists of 78 players:
- Top 60 available players from the previous season’s final FedEx Cup standings
- Winners of the KPGA Championship and Genesis Championship on the Korean Tour
- Top 3 available players from the Korean Tour order of merit as of October 2
- Top available player from the Asian Tour order of merit as of October 9
- Top available Korean player from the Asian Tour order of merit as of October 9
- Top next 3 available Korean players from the Official World Golf Ranking as of October 9
- 8 sponsor exemptions:
- 5 restricted to PGA Tour members
- 1 to the winner of a Korean amateur qualifier
- 2 unrestricted
The Nine Bridges Golf Club is located on Jeju Island in South Korea. In 2016 is was ranked #79 on Golf Digest’s 100 Greatest Courses List. It consists of two distinct nines: The Creek and The Highlands.
Put this one on my bucket list.
JeJu Island is on the edge of the South China Sea, between South Korea and Japan.
The CJ Cup is named for its sponsor, the CJ Group. Originally a branch of samsung, CJ Corporation is a holding company with its hand in food and food service, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, entertainment, media, home shopping and logistics.
A list of CJ Cup Winners follows
CJ Cup Winners
|2020||Jason Kokrak||268||-20||2 strokes|
|2019||Justin Thomas (2)||268||-20||2 strokes|
|2018||Brooks Koepka||267||-21||4 strokes|